Tuesday, January 13, 2009

fabric basket


I love spending time searching the web for tutorials to learn how to make more projects. I stumbled across this tutorial on how to make a fabric basket. The tutorial is for a smaller basket and after making one, I decided it was time to increase the size. (auymills.blogspot.com/2008/05/tutorial-fabric-baskets.html) I wanted a basket to hold my phone books and magazines. As usual, I didn't think it through, wasted a bit of fabric, but also didn't think about the structure of a cloth basket. Where is it going to get it's form? I made a wonderful basket, but it turned out more like a tote than a basket. Back to the drawing board to figure out how to make the sides more stiff so that it can hold books and keep it's form.
I also didn't have enough interfacing for a larger basket, so I substituted a quilted mattress cover for the interfacing. (I always try and figure out a way to use recycled materials in everything I make... and I don't always make sure I have all of the materials before starting projects late at night) If I can find another quilted mattress cover at a garage sale, I think it will come in handy for projects like this.
I love this number fabric. I bought it on sale at JoAnn's Fabric. It was on the sale rack for $4 a yard and I bought it during a half off sale! When I bought it I didn't have any idea what I was going to use it for. I was happy to find this great project to use it for.

No comments: